Some of our focuses in Guided Reading are:
•What can you tell from the cover?
•Table of content
•Retelling using key concepts and characters
•Phonics (focus on certain sounds)
•Making important text-to-self connections
•Predicting what may happen next
•Strategies to decode difficult words
Keys to unlocking tricky words
- Look at the picture
- Look at the beginning letter, say the first sound, and think about the pictures
- Look at what you know inside the words (patterns, chunks, blends)
- Slide your finger along the word as you sound out the letters and chunks
- Cover up part of the word and sound it out in sections
- Skip the word and read the rest of the sentence. What word would make sense and match the letters and sounds in the word.
- Try another word if your word does not make sense, sound right or look right
- Most of all, maintain the flow. If you get too caught up on tricky words, choose a slightly easier book.