To work with your child on the concepts taught in this unit and previous units, try these interesting and rewarding activities:
- Use a standard measuring tool to measure the length of objects in your home to the nearest cm.
- Practice counting by 2s using a thermometer.
- Tell the time (on the hour, the half hour, or the quarter hour) and have your child draw a picture of a clock to represent each time.
- Have your child tell you the time as minutes after the hour. For example: “It is about six, seventeen” or “seventeen minutes after six.”
- Have your child tell you a number story for a given number sentence, such as 3 + 5 = 8. For example: ” I had 3 dogs. Then I got 5 more dogs. Now I have 8 dogs.